The Workplace Sustainability Fund awards UBC Sustainability Coordinators with up to $800 to support sustainability initiatives in their units.
Have a sustainability project idea for your department or unit? The Workplace Sustainability Fund helps turn ideas into action.
Funds are available annually for Sustainability Coordinators to pursue sustainability projects addressing at least one of the following focus areas:
- Climate Action
- Energy Conservation and Efficiency
- Waste Reduction
- Water Conservation
- Sustainable Transportation
- Education & Engagement
This year, due to COVID-19 event restrictions which may potentially extend through spring/summer 2021 and into fall, it will be considered an asset for projects with an engagement/event component to be virtual/digital, rather than in person.
Applicants to the Fund must be registered Sustainability Coordinators.
Sustainability Coordinators in any type of workplace setting (offices, labs, facilities/maintenance/trades, food service/retail outlets etc.) are welcome to apply. Applications are open to coordinators at the Point Grey Campus, Robson Square Campus and Teaching Hospital Sites. SCs have sometimes partnered with non-SC colleagues to design and implement a project, though the SC must be the primary applicant.
Workplace Sustainability Fund applications for 2021 are now closed.
Funding application process:
- Review the Funding Criteria and Guidelines
- Complete the Funding Application Form
- Submit applications via email to email@example.com
Please note that due to COVID budget impacts, available award amounts are lower for 2021 than in past years. If you have any questions about eligibility, project suitability, or would like to learn more about the fund, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Congratulations to our 2020/21 grant recipients!
- Geography: Surplus Recycling Coordinator ($800) (Suzanne Lawrence and Sandy Lapsky)
- UBC Farm Centre for Sustainable Food Systems: Plastic Reduction Initiative for Campus Farmers' Markets ($800) (Jaylin Melnichuk)
- Asian Studies: Asian Studies Sustainability Website Development ($800) (Maija Norman)
- Library: Library #ClimateAction Movie Night Online ($800) (Felicia de La Parra)
- UBC Go Global and Office of the Vice-Provost International: UBC's Global Engagement and Climate Change ($1600) (Matthew Lyle and Hannah Oliwa)
Funds awarded to date have supported various projects, including:
EcoFootprint Initiative – Department of Asian Studies
- Textile Recycling & Refundable Container Secure Storage Space Project – UBC Athletics & Recreation
- Athletes Communicating Climate Action: Workshops and Film - UBC Climate Hub
- Plastic Bag Use Reduction Initiative - UBC Bookstore
- Mugshare Program & Activities - Centre for Teaching Learning & Technology
- Sustainability Lunch and Learn series - Supply Management
- Recycling and composting education initiatives - School of Population and Public Health
- Styrofoam reduction and recycling pilot programs - Brain Research Centre and the Life Sciences Institute
- E-waste educational event and recycling drive - Centre for Interactive Research on Sustainability
ADDITIONAL FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES
Learn more about additional funding opportunities for sustainability projects at UBC.