UBC offers a range of funding opportunities to students, staff, faculty and residents for initiatives that support environmental and social sustainability. Find one that can help you make a difference.
AMS SUSTAINABILITY PROJECTS FUND
The AMS Sustainability Projects Fund encourages an environmentally conscious culture by funding student-led projects that reduce our campus community’s ecological footprint.
Past projects have received up to $10,000 in funding and all UBC students are encouraged to apply.
AMS INNOVATIVE PROJECTS FUND
The AMS Innovative Projects fund supports students, faculty and staff working on projects that benefit students and develop the campus community. Past projects include media initiatives and new student services.
Climate EDUCATION GRANTS
The Climate Education Grant program aims to quickly improve the depth and delivery of climate change content in existing courses by integrating and/or bolstering topics such as climate adaptation and resilience, climate justice, climate science, climate economics, climate law, planning and policy, and complex systems thinking. A grant of up to $5,000 is available per instructor to revise and deliver materials / activities / resources for an existing course, and all areas of inquiry related to climate change and teaching are eligible.
EQUITY ENHANCEMENT FUND
The Equity Enhancement Fund supports community-based initiatives that:
- Build student, faculty, and staff competencies and understanding related to issues of equity, diversity and inclusion through community-engaged activities
- Promote a respectful environment at UBC through education, dialogue and community engagement
- Benefit the representation or experiences of historically disadvantaged groups within the UBC community
GRants for community projects
Transform an idea into action and get funding to make it happen, with support from the Centre for Community Engaged Learning.
The Connect to Community Grant and Chapman and Innovation Grants offer UBC undergraduate and graduate students funding for partnerships with a BC-based community organizations.
GREEN LABS FUND
Do you have a creative idea to make your lab or research activity more sustainable? Your innovative plan could make you the next recipient of up to $4,000.
The Green Labs Fund is available to researchers from both our Okanagan and Vancouver campuses. All UBC staff, faculty and students are eligible to apply.
HEALTHY WORKPLACE INITIATIVE FUND
The Healthy Workplace Initiatives Program supports UBC departments with grassroots activities that promote wellbeing in the workplace.
The program provides start-up funds and support for health-related and sustainability initiatives including yoga or fitness classes, building a community garden, or investing in mental health training.
SustainabilitY EDUCATION GRANTS
The Sustainability Education Grant program provides funding for Vancouver faculty members looking to advance and diversify sustainability education opportunities for students across campus in all disciplines.
Two funding options
- 2-year grants for a maximum of $10,000 per year for new courses or programs that involve interdisciplinary teams of faculty members from different departments or across campus (minimum two faculty members involved).
- 1-year grants for a maximum of $5,000 for updating existing courses or programs (minimum one faculty member involved)
By accepting the grant, you commit to becoming a Sustainability Fellow for the period for which the grant was awarded.
You will meet once or twice a month (to be determined) throughout the academic year with other Sustainability Fellows to report on your project progress, share ideas and collaborate on emergent projects. Sustainability Fellows are viewed as champions for sustainability within their departments.
UBC STUDENT ENVIRONMENT CENTRE FUND
The UBC Student Environment Centre Fund supports local grassroots initiatives with programs, campaigns and events that:
- Relate to sustainability or environmental issues, on or off campus.
- Are open to all UBC students.
- Strive towards zero waste or minimal waste.
- Educate the community on socio-environmental topics.
- Exemplify forward thinking sustainable practices.
UBC SUSTAINABILITY REVOLVING LOAN FUND
The Sustainability Revolving Fund provides a minimum loan of $10,000 for projects or equipment upgrades that support UBC’s sustainability goals by reducing the consumption of energy, water or other resources.
UTOWN @ UBC COMMUNITY GRANTS
UTown@UBC Community Grants award up to $1,000 for projects on campus or in the Musqueam community that:
- Foster social vibrancy and connectedness
- Encourage community-led engagement and capacity-building
- Create fun and unique opportunities for you to learn about your community
WORKPLACE SUSTAINABILITY FUND
The Workplace Sustainability Fund awards UBC Sustainability Coordinators with up to $1000 to support climate and sustainability initiatives in their units that address at least one of the following:
- Climate Action
- Sustainable Travel and Transportation
- Climate-Friendly Food Systems
- Energy Conservation and Efficiency
- Waste Reduction (may include projects related to zero waste, reuse, recycling, procurement, circular economy)
- Education & Engagement (may include education/engagement on any of the listed focus areas)
- Water Conservation