The Sustainability Coordinator (SC) Program provides UBC staff members with opportunities and resources to promote and implement sustainable practices in their departments.
About the Program
Developed at UBC in 1999, the Sustainability Coordinator Program offers staff members the support, awareness, skills and tools they need to foster sustainability in their respective departments.
Using two to four hours of work time per month, with supervisor permission, SCs help to:
- inspire colleagues to make changes in energy consumption, waste, food, purchasing, transportation, and more;
- deliver information about the ecological impact of daily workplace activities;
- identify sustainability initiatives for their departments;
- communicate UBC sustainability policies, procedures, news and events; and
- make sustainability easy and fun.
UBC Campus Sustainability provides SCs with training and step-by-step tools to generate positive change at the unit level.
By becoming Sustainability Coordinators, UBC staff members get to:
- Join the network of over 100 coordinators across campus
- Attend sustainability-focused educational events and networking sessions
- Develop skills through sustainability-related training sessions
- Make a difference in the workplace
Employees working in Offices
- Review the SC Program Summary and SC Position Description so that you have a clear idea of the role an SC fulfills in their department
- Complete the SC Application Form and get your supervisor’s permission to participate (staff who participate in the SC Program can use 2 – 4 hours of paid work time per month to promote and implement sustainability initiatives so we need your department’s approval and support for this time).
- Send the completed application electronically to the SC Program Manager
If you have any questions about the program, please contact the SC Program Manager
Please note: all prospective SCs must have the permission of their supervisor or director to participate in the program.
Employees working in Labs
Sustainability Coordinator Resources
Sustainability Coordinator Orientation Guide
The Sustainability Coordinator Program Orientation Guide provides new and current Sustainability Coordinators with a comprehensive introduction to the SC Program and a handy directory of UBC Sustainability resources and information.
Sustainability Coordinator Toolkit
The Sustainability Coordinator Toolkit provides Sustainability Coordinators with UBC-specific resources to encourage sustainable behaviours in the workplace. Each toolkit provides a quick topic overview, simple step-by-step instructions, ideas for feedback and recognition and links to other resources, to keep you and your colleagues informed, inspired and motivated.
Workshops and Trainings
Our Workshops and Trainings provide sustainability learning, professional development and networking opportunities for staff and faculty. To be notified of upcoming training opportunities, join our mailing list.
Workplace Sustainability Fund
The Workplace Sustainability Fund awards Sustainability Coordinators with up to $1,000 to support sustainability initiatives in their units.