The three-year Fraser Estuary Research Collaborative (FERC) brings graduate students and high impact environmental NGOs together to find solutions to the range of challenges facing this vital watershed with the goal of restoring and protecting the endangered Fraser River Estuary.
Please get in touch with our Program Manager to make sure we include you on our next call for proposals.
The UBC Sustainability Scholars Program attracts bright, enthusiastic, and motivated graduate students with the skills and capabilities to help you achieve your organization's goals to do with restoration and protection of the Fraser River estuary.
Participation in the program provides:
- Added capacity, fresh ideas, and robust research contributions
- An opportunity to provide professional mentorship to a motivated and skilled graduate student
- Access to a diverse pool of applicants and a chance to evaluate potential future employees
- Involvement in a collaborative partnership with UBC to advance sustainability
Preferred projects have the following qualities:
- Addresses the restoration and protection of the Fraser Estuary
- Whenever possible, involves collaboration or relationship building with First Nations
- The scope offers sufficient challenge to a graduate student and allows them to engage in a larger, meaningful project with minimal routine clerical work
- The deliverables are manageable within the allotted 250 hours of work
- There is evident value to your organization, and the Scholar’s work will be actionable
- A mentor with relevant expertise from within your organization is available to provide guidance to the Scholar throughout the project
HOW IT WORKS
As a project partner, you will:
- Develop and submit a project proposal (we work with you to refine and agree on the final project scope)
- Interview short-listed candidates, perform reference checks, and select a candidate
- Assign a mentor to guide and advise the Scholar over the course of the project
- We are currently accepting projects for the summer 2023 program. Deadline to apply is November 30, 2022. Please contact email@example.com for an information package or to be added to the circulation list.
The UBC Sustainability Scholars Program will:
- Provide funding to cover the Scholar's salary and the cost of mandatory benefits (e.g., EI, WCB, CPP, HTX) for 250 hours of work (a value of $6995).
- Promote projects to UBC graduates students across a wide range of academic disciplines
- Manage and shortlist incoming student applications
- Employ your preferred candidate
- Provide up to 5 applications for consideration and selection
- Deliver a program orientation and project management workshop at the beginning of the project term
- Provide ongoing administrative and program management support throughout the duration of the project
- Host an annual conference to share applied research findings
- Offer ongoing media and communications support to promote the program, our partners, and the outcomes of Scholars projects
We would be delighted to discuss your ideas for a project. Please get in touch to request a proposal template or to arrange a phone call or meeting to get started.