UBC Reads Sustainability is an exciting program that brings well-known sustainability authors to our campus to engage in a campus-wide discussion. It's part book club, part lecture series, and part opportunity to learn beyond the classroom. Above all, it’s a forum for students across disciplines to discuss sustainability issues.
Each year we select leading sustainability books, work with instructors across campus to integrate the books into courses, and then we bring the authors to UBC for a public lecture series.
Liu Institute for Global Issues
November 20, 2013
Mark Anielski, author of “The Economics of Happiness” and happiness economist, will explore what makes communities in both Canada and abroad flourish and experience the most happiness. His research and consulting work in Canada, China and Tahiti into what he calls Genuine Wealth, is providing individuals, businesses and communities with a practical roadmap for achieving a balanced life that optimizes wealth, health and happiness. Mark believes that wellbeing will become the new bottom line of business and communities, and that progress will be measured in terms of genuine happiness. Come explore with Mark how we can design and build vibrant communities with wellbeing in mind. Register here.
Sign-up to recieve updates on future UBC Reads speakers.
- Sandor Katz author of The Art of Fermentation: January 31, 2013. Talk Webcast
- Ozzie Zehner author of Green Illusions. Lecture: Green Illusions: Sept. 28, 2012.
- Alanna Mitchell author of Sea Sick: March 21, 2012.
- Morris Berman: "The Way We Live Today", author of "Why America Failed": March 19, 2012.
- Richard Heinberg author of The End of Growth: Feb. 9, 2012.
- Captain Charles Moore: author of Plastic Ocean. Lecture: The Great Infection of the Sea: Feb. 3, 2012.
- Ronald Wright, author of a bestselling book A Short History of Progress: Dec. 5, 2011.
- Bill McKibben, author of Eaarth: Nov. 16, 2011.
- Michael M'Gonigle, author of Planet U: Sustaining the World, Reinventing the University: Mar 4, 2011.
- David Montgomery, author of Dirt: The Erosion of Civilizations. Lecture: You Don't Know Dirt: Feb 3, 2011.
- Stewart Brand, author of Whole Earth Discipline. Lecture: Rethinking Green: Oct 5, 2010.
- David Korten, author of Agenda for a New Economy. Lecture: Creating a Real Wealth Economy for a Just and Sustainable Future: Sept 29, 2010.
UBC Reads Sustainability is supported by AMS Sustainability, the UBC Sustainability Initiative, and the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology.