UBC Reads Sustainability is an exciting program that brings well-known sustainability authors to our campus to engage in a campus-wide discussion. It's part book club, part lecture series, and part opportunity to learn beyond the classroom. Above all, it’s a forum for students across disciplines to discuss sustainability issues.
Each year we select leading sustainability books, work with instructors across campus to integrate the books into courses, and then we bring the authors to UBC for a public lecture series.
- Douglas Gayeton: March 19, 2015
- Wade Davis: February 12, 2015; 12-2pm at the Old Auditorium.
Due to some technical issues, our livestream broadcast had some issues which we are currently working on. In the meantime you may view a full recording of Wade Davis' talk here.
- George Marshall author of Don't Even Think About It: Why Our Brains are Wired to Ignore Climate Change. September 10, 2014. Talk webcast
- Richard Heinberg author of Snake Oil. February 25, 2014. Talk webcast
- Mark Anielski author of Economics of Happiness. November 20, 2013. Talk webcast
- Sandor Katz author of The Art of Fermentation: January 31, 2013. Talk webcast
- Ozzie Zehner author of Green Illusions. Lecture: Green Illusions: Sept. 28, 2012.
- Alanna Mitchell author of Sea Sick: March 21, 2012. Talk webcast
- Morris Berman: "The Way We Live Today", author of "Why America Failed": March 19, 2012. Talk webcast
- Richard Heinberg author of The End of Growth: Feb. 9, 2012. Talk webcast
- Captain Charles Moore: author of Plastic Ocean. Lecture: The Great Infection of the Sea: Feb. 3, 2012.
- Ronald Wright, author of a bestselling book A Short History of Progress: Dec. 5, 2011.
- Bill McKibben, author of Eaarth: Nov. 16, 2011.
- Michael M'Gonigle, author of Planet U: Sustaining the World, Reinventing the University: Mar 4, 2011.
- David Montgomery, author of Dirt: The Erosion of Civilizations. Lecture: You Don't Know Dirt: Feb 3, 2011.
- Stewart Brand, author of Whole Earth Discipline. Lecture: Rethinking Green: Oct 5, 2010.
- David Korten, author of Agenda for a New Economy. Lecture: Creating a Real Wealth Economy for a Just and Sustainable Future: Sept 29, 2010.
UBC Reads Sustainability partners with AMS Sustainability, the UBC Sustainability Initiative, the Pacific Institute for Climate Change Solutions, the Liu Institute for Global Issues, and the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology. Please contact Kshamta Hunter for any inquiries.