UBC has over a 20 year history of pursuing operational sustainability goals and targets, with an emphasis on teaching, learning and researching sustainability. Where UBC demonstrates innovation beyond traditional approaches, is by integrating sustainability across these efforts.
UBC has committed to the integration of our operational and academic efforts in sustainability and the UBC Sustainability Initiative (USI), established in 2010, is the University’s agent in this innovation. USI fosters partnerships and collaborations that extend beyond traditional boundaries of disciplines, sectors and geographies to address the critical issues of our time. The initiative's work is carried out under two cross-cutting themes: campus as a living laboratory and the University as an agent of change.
A Steering Committee composed of senior UBC leadership provides strategic guidance and oversight to USI.
The Initiative is comprised of following groups:
- Teaching, Learning and Research;
- Communications and Community Engagement;
- Pacific Institute of Climate Solutions (UBC Branch);
- A Management Team comprised of partners and administrators.
Within Campus & Community Planning, the Sustainability and Engineering office and Community Development office coordinate UBC's numerous operational sustainability initiatives and provides a central hub on UBC's Vancouver campus to engage with the campus community and facilitate operational sustainability learning and practice.
- Andrew Szeri, Provost and VP Academic
- Marc Parlange, Dean, Faculty of Applied Science
- Michael White, Associate VP Campus & Community Planning
- Simon Peacock, Dean, Faculty of Science
- VP Research & International
- Student Sustainability Council Representative
The UBC Sustainability Initiative Office
- Victoria Smith, Director, Communications and Community Engagement
- Shannon Lambie, Specialist, Communications and Engagement
- Tim Herron, CIRS Building Manager
- Jean Marcus, Director
- Alison Munro, Director
- Angelique Pilon, Director of Urban Innovation Research
- Karen Taylor, Program Manager
- Jen Crothers, Data Manager
- Kshamta Hunter, Manager, Advising and Student Involvement
- Zahra Teshnizi, Tall Wood Building Project Coordinator
- Sustainability Fellows
- Sara Muir-Owen, PICS UBC Campus Co-ordinator
- James Tansey, Executive Director
- Carole Jolly, Director, Community Development
- John Madden, Director, Sustainability and Engineering
- Victoria Smith, Director, USI Director of Communications and Community Engagement
- Jean Marcus, Associate Director, USI Teaching, Learning and Research Office
- Alison Munro, Associate Director, USI Teaching, Learning and Research Office
- Orion Henderson, Director, Energy Planning and Innovation
- Matt Dolf, Director, Wellbeing at UBC