Any student can apply to become a member of the Zero Waste Squad at UBC. Please make sure you read the information below carefully before beginning your application.
By volunteering to participate in the Zero Waste Squad, you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn more about UBC’s zero waste programs from the staff that run them
- Receive training and develop experience with campus engagement on zero waste and sustainability issues
- Build your network among sustainability student and staff groups on campus
- Get free tickets for events, free food, or a gift card (depending on the event)
- Play an important role in helping UBC achieve our zero waste goals
- Obtain a reference letter after completing your hours (upon request)
- Enjoy various Zero Waste Squad social events
As a member of the Zero Waste Squad, you commit to:
- Attending a short one-time volunteer training session
- Volunteering for an average of 2-3 shifts per semester
- Demonstrating your passion for zero waste and sustainability issues through interacting with the public
- Attending campus events and outreach initiatives (e.g. Imagine Day, Jumpstart, Student Orientations, Welcome Back BBQ, Apple Festival, residence engagement and outreach).
- Helping event attendees sort their waste properly by letting them know what goes in each bin
- Providing information about zero waste and recycling at UBC
- Helping organize Zero Waste outreach and engagement events
If you have any questions regarding the Zero Waste Squad program or your application, please get in touch. Or if you are interested in more opportunities for engagement, developing leadership skills and are looking to get something more from the role, contact us below with your ideas.