The award-winning Sustainability Coordinator (SC) Program provides UBC staff members with opportunities and resources to promote and implement sustainable practices in their departments.
About the Program
Developed at UBC in 1999, the Sustainability Coordinator Program offers staff members the support, awareness, skills and tools they need to foster sustainability in their respective departments.
Using two to four hours of work time per month, with supervisor permission, SCs help to:
- inspire colleagues to make changes in energy consumption, waste, food, purchasing, transportation, and more;
- deliver information about the ecological impact of daily workplace activities;
- identify sustainability initiatives for their departments;
- communicate UBC sustainability policies, procedures, news and events; and
- make sustainability easy and fun.
UBC Campus Sustainability provides SCs with training and step-by-step tools to generate positive change at the unit level.
By becoming Sustainability Coordinators, UBC staff members get to:
- Join the network of over 80 coordinators across campus
- Attend sustainability-focused educational events and networking sessions
- Develop skills through sustainability-related training sessions
- Make a difference in the workplace
E-mail the SC Program Coordinator to learn more about becoming a Sustainability Coordinator, or to receive the SC Program application form.
Please note: all prospective SCs must have the permission of their supervisor or director to participate in the program.
Sustainability Coordinator Resources
Sustainability Coordinator Toolkit
The Sustainability Coordinator Toolkit provides Sustainability Coordinators (SCs) with UBC-specific resources to encourage sustainable behaviours in the workplace. Each toolkit provides a quick topic overview, simple step-by-step instructions, ideas for feedback and recognition and links to other resources, to keep you and your colleagues informed, inspired and motivated.
Xerox Workplace Sustainability Fund
The Xerox Workplace Sustainability Fund awards UBC Sustainability Coordinators (SCs) with up to $1,000 to support sustainability initiatives in their units.
Employee Sustainability Guide
The Employee Sustainability Guide educates staff about basic waste reduction, energy conservation, green event planning and sustainable purchasing practices.