UBC Reads Sustainability brings well-known sustainability authors to our campus to engage in campus-wide discussion.
Part book club, part lecture series, and part opportunity to learn beyond the classroom. UBC Reads Sustainability is a forum for students across disciplines to discuss sustainability issues.
Each year we select leading sustainability books, work with instructors across campus to integrate the books into courses, and bring the authors to UBC for a public lecture series.
To view past live streams, please check out our UBC Reads Sustainability playlist on YouTube or click on the name of a speaker below.
- Johanna Wagstaffe: CBC Meteorologist and author of Fault Lines Understanding the Power of Earthquakes. January 29, 2019.
- Sarah Cox: author of Breaching the Peace: The Site C Dam and a Valley’s Stand against Big Hydro. October 25, 2018.
- Elizabeth May: author of Who We are: Reflections on My Life and Canada. March 13, 2018.
- Joel Solomon: author of The Clean Money Revolution. January 24, 2018.
- Duncan McCue: author of The Shoe Boy. November 27 and 28, 2017. (Hear the Unceded Airwaves interview with Mr. McCue)
- Roy Henry Vickers: author of Peace Dancer: March 2, 2017. (Hear the Unceded Airwaves interview with Mr. Vickers).
- Simran Sethi: author of Bread, Wine, Chocolate: November 10th, 2016
- Naomi Klein author of This Changes Everything. April 7, 2016
- Raj Patel author of The Value of Nothing and Stuffed and Starved. Febraury 11, 2016
- Douglas Gayeton author of Local: The New Face of Food and Farming in America. March 18, 2015.
- Wade Davis author of The Sacred Headwaters. February 12, 2015.
- George Marshall author of Don't Even Think About It: Why Our Brains are Wired to Ignore Climate Change. September 10, 2014. Talk webcast
- Richard Heinberg author of Snake Oil. February 25, 2014. Talk webcast
- Mark Anielski author of Economics of Happiness. November 20, 2013. Talk webcast
- Sandor Katz author of The Art of Fermentation: January 31, 2013. Talk webcast
- Ozzie Zehner author of Green Illusions. Lecture: Green Illusions: Sept. 28, 2012.
- Alanna Mitchell author of Sea Sick: March 21, 2012. Talk webcast
- Morris Berman: "The Way We Live Today", author of "Why America Failed": March 19, 2012. Talk webcast
- Richard Heinberg author of The End of Growth: Feb. 9, 2012. Talk webcast
- Captain Charles Moore: author of Plastic Ocean. Lecture: The Great Infection of the Sea: Feb. 3, 2012.
- Ronald Wright, author of a bestselling book A Short History of Progress: Dec. 5, 2011.
- Bill McKibben, author of Eaarth: Nov. 16, 2011.
- Michael M'Gonigle, author of Planet U: Sustaining the World, Reinventing the University: Mar 4, 2011.
- David Montgomery, author of Dirt: The Erosion of Civilizations. Lecture: You Don't Know Dirt: Feb 3, 2011.
- Stewart Brand, author of Whole Earth Discipline. Lecture: Rethinking Green: Oct 5, 2010.
- David Korten, author of Agenda for a New Economy. Lecture: Creating a Real Wealth Economy for a Just and Sustainable Future: Sept 29, 2010.
UBC Reads Sustainability partners with AMS Sustainability, the UBC Sustainability Initiative, the Pacific Institute for Climate Change Solutions, the Liu Institute for Global Issues, and Centre for Community Engaged Learning, the First nations House of Learning, the S.K.Y Lee Global Resource Lounge, and the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology.
Please contact Kshamta Hunter for any inquiries.